Tuesday, 9 September 2014

inspiration | new york fashion week ss15




I am a little ashamed to admit that prior to studying fashion and textiles at university, my passion for fashion (excuse the cliche statement!) was enhanced through drawing, blogging and obsessive reading of magazines. I was never too keen on keeping up with (what I thought to be) more sophisticated fashion weeks which occurred annually in February and September in all the fashion capitals. I considered the fashion shown to not really be something I could strive for, but now looking back I regret not jumping in and simply using the internet and social media to keep up to date. Just because I wasn't able to buy the products shown shouldn't mean I couldn't watch it - it's fantastic just to watch the action unfold, even if you are in bed in pyjamas watching a live stream, and the clothes shown are bang on, or ahead of, trends and show you what will be on the high streets months in advance.

Potentially I wasn't quite drawn to keeping up to date with the fashion weeks because it is called "fashion" week, and I am more drawn to textiles. However, I think watching it live can allow the fabrics to seem real and close up photographs usually uploaded instantly after a show offer stunning glimpses of high quality fashion, and it is then that you see that textiles is just as prominent, with many designers not only focusing on tailoring and intricate dressmaking, but using textile techniques such as embroidery, print work and weave, to name a few, which can offer me valuable inspiration.

I think the point I realised why they are important was when I visited Paris for the first time earlier this year and going into an Issey Miyake store where I was allowed to get close to the fabrics and feel their quality. It was an amazing experience that highlighted to me to keep up to date a little more with designers and their collections. As a fashion student it was a little strange I didn't keep up with it a bit more!

Vivienne Tam SS15 RTW via style.com

My favourites of New York Fashion Week, which began last week on the 4th September, have been Vivienne Tam and Phillip Lim. Vivienne Tam's show was simply amazing - there was so much inspirational pieces in there. Landscape prints and detailed embroidery finished up with my absolute favourite pieces from NYFW so far, beautiful Ming inspired ceramic prints interspersed with mesh.

Phillip Lim was just as unique, and I think offered a very cool activewear inspired collection with cool futuristic vibes, and the piping and unique contouring neckline which warped to the left was to die for.

Phillip Lim SS15 RTW via style.com
Other notable mentions are Rebecca Taylor - whose colour palette and absolutely gorgeous patterns (which I thought seemed like micro-organisms!) were to die for - and The Row. Mary Kate and Ashley seem to really know their stuff, and I think by showing a collection with near to know fastenings showed how good they are at design, simply beautiful folds and layering with a fab colour range, and in a really spectacular venue, was in my opinion one of the best shows of the week so far.

To be honest, just last year I thought keeping up to date with the designer shows was time consuming, but in an age where you can watch live streams (and the shows only last about 15-20 minutes yesterday) and see photos and read instant coverage on Twitter, you don't really have to take much time out of your day even just to see what trend cropped up most.

There's up to date coverage of not just New York Fashion Week, but Milan, Paris and London, over at Now Fashion, which I've been using to write instant reviews of shows for a fashion website(!!). It's been a good lesson to me to stay organised and keep on top of things, that's for sure!

If you've caught any shows, what have been your faves so far? And if you aren't really keen on fashion, why not have a look at some of the shows on Now Fashion? You might see something that speaks to you!!

Hope you liked the post, stay cool n wiggly!!

Jean
XXXXXX

0 comments :

Post a Comment

I love love love receiving comments from readers, and if you leave a blog address I will check out your blog and most likely follow you :)