Sunday, 29 June 2014

the importance of taking photos




With this post, I started looking back at my first year of art school but then it started to change into the following post about taking lots of photos, and memories, and nostalgia. They link quite well together but for the sake of clarity I decided to separate them as each part got a little too wordy and the overall post would have practically been an essay (which we only had to do ONE of this year, how lucky are art students?!)!

Basically, I was looking the other day through all the photos on my phone (a lovely iphone 3gs, not at all clunky) and being quite nostalgic, there are two years worth of photos on there and I realised for the last year I had hardly taken any photos, and if there were they weren't very telling of the memories themselves, you know? I hate it when I take photos but when you look back at them they don't tell you anything about how you were feeling, who you were with or anything like that. That's not the type of photos I want to take (not that I am a photographer or anything) but in my opinion, even though we live in a digital age now, I still think it's important to try and think about each photo and try and make it meaningful.

By the sounds of that, you would think I would be totally into Instagram, but after a few months of trying it in 2012 I kind of gave up, initially out of boredom but basically because if I became addicted to another social network it would have meant my entire life would have been spent on my phone. I totally get the appeal, and I LOVE the idea of looking through a person's profile and seeing their aesthetic and their life at a glance, but I feel like I missed the popularity wagon for Instagram and it's now too late to get on, y'know?

Anywho - my main qualms with my honestly crap selection of photos from the past year were that I wish I had taken more photos of places I had been, people I was with, interesting things I saw... things that may seem banal at the time but if you look back on can really clearly detail memories and feelings n lots of soppy stuff. Of the photos I did take I found it really fun to look back on because you can see the growth of myself as a person, how my clothing and style changed and other strange, small things that changed over the course of the year. If I had taken way more photos of what I initially thought were banal, I would have had a really interesting photo diary of the year.



This kind of elitist mentality I find stupid. This person used a phone to take this photo and then share it?? The 459,313 people agreeing with this were using technology?? I'd get it if these people then didn't continue to most likely take photos and stick em on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, but they most likely didn't... Either embrace technology and how it has brought an abundance of benefits and privileges (along with a vast number of problems) or don't.

And continuing on from the concept of a photo diary, I hope to take as many photos as I possibly can without gaining some sort of reputation as a weird tourist gal... photos of my face, what I wore, what my friends wore, my desk, my flat, funny things, plants, the bus, pavements... Not only will it serve me well in terms of providing inspiration as a designer but it will be a fantastic way of being soppy and nostalgic when I make a post similar to this one next year!! 

If anyone dares to tell me taking photos are taking away from the moments themselves, then I'll just tell them I have such a duff memory of my childhood that looking back at photos from then is the only way of making me remember stuff!

my little photo blog - i've been posting 2 photos from each day for about 2 weeks now

Hope you enjoyed this rather lengthy post, but I'll leave you with another technology-relevant post I found on tumblr. Unfortunately I don't know the original source for this one, but if anyone knows who said this originally I'd be very grateful!

"Food doesn’t taste better or worse when documented by Instagram. Laughter is as genuine over Skype as it would be sharing a sofa. Pay attention. Take in nature, hold someone’s hand, read a book. But don’t ever apologize for snapping a photo of a sunrise after a hike, or blogging about the excitement of having a crush, or updating your goodreads account. All of these things are good and should be celebrated. Smile at strangers on the sidewalk and like your friends’ selfies. It’s all good for the human spirit."

CIAO and be wiggly
Jean
XXXXXX

5 comments :

Holly Peckitt said...

I completely agree with what you've said in this post. This year, I have been trying to take as many photos as I can of the moments that I want to remember. People go on about actually living that moment instead of using a phone to preserve the memories but I disagree with them. If I lost my memory tomorrow I have my photos to remind me of those times. There are things I'd forget if I didn't have photos.

Excellent post :)
*HUGS* xxxxxxx

Jean said...

Aw yay I'm glad you liked the post!! I hope you can look back on the year with fondness thanks to taking so many photos :> That's a really good point, one I forgot about! That's a really good argument for taking lots of photos. It's good proof for if anything were to happen to you, never realised that~ I sometimes wish it was still easy to use film cameras, not that it's impossible but it's a bit expensive and a faff to do it, because actually having physical photos is such a lovely thing. We're all digital now and it's lovely but sometimes being able to hold the memories is better, in a way.

Thanks so much for commenting Holly, appreciate it!!! <3 <3
HUGS BACK!! XXXXX

morag | mo adore said...

I totally agree with what you're saying about capturing memories and it doesn't stop you from enjoying the memory. There's a few memories that aren't captured and it upsets me (I hate when my phone runs out of battery at a gig or something similar).

Morag x
moadore.co.uk

Jean said...

Hi Morag! Thanks so much for dropping by my blog, I really appreciate it :-) I agree with you, it's so sad when you feel you won't be able to remember something happening, just cos you couldn't take a picture. Glad you liked the post!

Jean
XXXXX

Anonymous said...

My friend Caroline said this and I blogged it! Here blog is cogitoergoblog.tumblr.com and mine is magicalmatt.tumblr.com

Post a Comment

I love love love receiving comments from readers, and if you leave a blog address I will check out your blog and most likely follow you :)