Monday, 9 June 2014

Knitting in Fashion

Howdy! I'd like to share with you guys a guest post I did for over at Mademoiselle, about the history of knitting in fashion! I go from its beginnings of fashionable-ness in the 1920's all the way through to the present where you can't go into shops without seeing a jumper (except summer, of course). I really loved researching and collecting lovely images for this post so I wanted to share the post and the lovely blog to you guys.

Here's a little excerpt:

Chanel wearing one of her infamous striped jersey tops
Source
Two of my most favourite things in the world are knitting, and fashion, so what better to display my enthusiasm than to showcase the interesting history knitting has had in the fashion world.

It's not always been that comfortable and fashionable knitwear has existed, and even as recent as the 1980s, knitwear was seen as dowdy and old fashioned. So, what changed?
Knitting itself has existed for hundreds and hundreds of years, and the practice itself saw a sharp decline in popularity in the 19th century when the industrial revolution began and the use of machines caused many families to stop hand-making clothes and undergarments, because many had to instead spend most of their time working. 

Knitwear never really came to the fore until Coco Chanel completely changed the course of fashion...


Read more about what Chanel did and how knitting so a decline later on in the post which you can read here. Be sure to check out Mademoiselle, it's a lovely blog by a lovely blogger!

Ciao and stay squiggly~
Jean
XXXXX

Post banner made with clipart from Just Something I Made, and a sample of knitting from the V&A website 

0 comments :

Post a Comment

I love love love receiving comments from readers, and if you leave a blog address I will check out your blog and most likely follow you :)