Tuesday, 3 September 2013

Game of Thrones Fashion Appreciation

Game of Thrones is by far one of my favourite book series and TV series, pretty much of all time. It comes very, very close to The X Files in terms of enjoyment! As a fashion student, the television series is an absolutely wonder to look at, so I thought a post that showcased both fashion worn in the programme, and runway fashion that really gives off the elegance and artistry that the books describe and the TV show brings to life...




The absolutely amazing work of Michele Carragher is adorned on many of Cersei's beautiful dresses, and in addition, Sansa's wedding dress. 

What I find really interesting is that there is so much modern runway fashion that can be linked to Game of Thrones in some way, or be seen as inspired by the garments worn by the affluent King's Landing folk. 

Georges Hobeika, image courtesy of A Game of Clothes
With the lovely embroidery on the sleeves and shaping of the corset along with the cascading silk, it literally screams "Sansa Stark".

Top left, Valentino. Images from A Game of Clothes
Sansa Stark, member of one of the protagonist families, tended to wear whilst in Winterfell pastels and cool colours in loose forms, but since being in Kings Landing (where the money lies!) has been wearing more bulky clothing, nearly kimono-esque in shape - which I deem quite strange as compared to Winterfell where it is cold, you'd think it would be the opposite.

Some of my favourite images EVER are of the close-up views of the intricate embroidery work by Carragher, and my only dream is to be able to work with fabric and beads even a tenth of Michele Carragher's talent!

Take care,

Jean
XXXX

6 comments :

Arielle said...

I'm not a big fan of the show but I've seen the costumes, and goodness, they're really beautiful!

Spaceship to Infinity

Holly Peckitt said...

I've never seen Game of Thrones before because I don't have Sky but I would love to see it sometime. The outfits you showed were stunning and the blue one from Valentino was just gorgeous and so beautiful. I wish I were rich enough to own one myself.
Holly xx

Jean said...

Arielle - Aren't they just?! It really empowers me to be able to embroider something as beautiful as that! Thanks for commenting <3

Holly - I highly recommend it! I don't have Sky but my mum enjoys the show too so we have the boxset (and I watched season 3 online but SHH!). If you ever get the chance, definitely watch :) Ahh same here, the Valentino dress is absolutely beautiful, would loooove to own it! Thanks for commenting hunny <3

Paola said...

Amazing post, I love the detail you put on all your post, really cool blog btw...would you like to follow each other on Bloglovin? follow me and leave a comment on my blog and i shall surely be following you back

www.withinmystyle.blogspot.com

Jean said...

Thanks for commenting Paola! The details in the photos are amazing, aren't they?! I dropped by your blog by the way <3

Dulcie Horn said...

I saw this a little while ago, her work is so beautiful! Can't believe the work that goes into that show.

http://la-dulcie-vita.blogspot.co.uk/

Post a Comment

I love love love receiving comments from readers, and if you leave a blog address I will check out your blog and most likely follow you :)